SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

IWC sliding patio door lock

A home owner from Morro Bay, CA says:
I have had an IWC sliding patio door for about 10 years. A couple of days ago, the locking mechanism suddenly felt loose. The locking lever will not stay up at the top of the channel that it slides in. My door slides left to right, so it is locked when the lever is down, and unlocked when it is up.

When I move the lever to the top of the channel, the latch retracts
fully. When I let go of it, it drops down a ways. In order to get
the door to latch, I have to lower the lever to its lowest-possible position in the channel, and then raise it to the midpoint of the channel. The latch then moves into the position necessary for it to engage with the opening in the door frame. I can then lower the lever, and the latch engages. My concern is that the mechanism will fail when the lock is engaged.

So, do I need to replace just the handle mechanism, or do I need to replace the lock as well?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Sounds like something internal is worn down in your lock. Remove it and see if there is a screw or something similar that you can use to tighten up the lock. If not, please send a photo of it to help us identify the problem.
A home owner from Morro Bay says:
Thanks, Dave. The lock appears to be identical to your product 82-218. Is there any way to tighten up that lock? If not, I will order a new one.

The handle is identical to your 82-069
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I don't think so. You can try the adjustment screw located on the top face of the lock, but it sounds like the spring could be worn internally. That spring cannot be replaced, and would require getting a whole new lock.
A home owner from Morro Bay says:
Thanks, Dave. I have ordered my new SWISCO lock. Your site is so helpful. Having read the comments made by other customers, I will be extra careful when installing the lock so as not to drop it down inside the door frame.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)