SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Identification of Sash Balance Assemble

A handy person from Jacksonville, Florida says:
The sash is large measuring 35" wide by 31" high by 7/16" deep. Manufacturers label says Florida Extruded Products Inc. Model name is Milestone Single hung Series 1000.

Needed parts are left and right balance assemblies. They are spring/block and tackle type. The spring and block and tackle are housed in a 1/2" by 1/2" by 1/2" -- 29" long "U-shaped channel. The channel includes what appear to be guides and stops. The spring is about 15" long. The block and tackle is about 9". Assembly instructions would also be helpful. Thanks, Dick
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, thanks for posting. I've narrowed this down to two possible channel balance Series: either our Series 380 or our Series 385 balances.

Now, as you can see, there is only one difference between these two Series, and that is their bottom shoe. The Series 380 uses the 15-005 while the Series 385 uses the 15-004. I can't quite tell what you have based on your pictures, though. Please carefully compare their dimensions to your own hardware and see which is a better match.
15-004 and 15-005
A quick learner from Jacksonville, Florida says:
The shoe for the balance assembly 15-005 is closest to the one I need -- the dimension on the diagram that that shows as 1" actually measures colser to 15/16' on the one I have that needs to be replaced???
Profile picture of Tom
I think our 15-005 is the best choice, as well. It's likely your shoe once measured 1" but just wore down with age.

With that in mind, you should consider our Series 380 channel balance.
A quick learner from Jacksonville, Florida says:
Just placed an order for 2 Series 380 Channel balances. As far as the Option goes -- the failed balance is stamped 28D. I took the sash out of the window and weighed it on the bathroom scale. It weighs 24 lbs. Since 28D didn't match any of the options listed I chose option "2840" since the sash weight was in the weight range for that option. Any problem???
Profile picture of Tom
Nope, that was the right thing to do! It's always better go to by sash weight.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)