SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Identify Correct Balance

A home owner from Dallas, TX says:
Have a Non-Tilt Window. Spiral Balance is 30" long, 3/8" diameter, and green tip. Attached is a photo. What item do I order for a replacement?

Also, what special tool do I need to install/wind it up?
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Sure, we can make this for you. I'm thinking a special green tip S900-30 spiral balance with a 15-142 shoe attached to the end. Does that look good to you? We can custom make this for you, but before we begin, can you just tell me how many you need?
So I had this one "pop off" when opening a stubborn window. I assume the green tip should look better and that it essentially "broke" from binding.
If I need to replace in a set, then 2 right now.
I'll check movement on the other windows to see if there are any other issues.

Looks like 2 windows total. One on each.

Can I replace individually, or do I need to do in sets?

Also, a couple were hard to open. Can I just spray a little WD40 in the top to loosen those ones up?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
We do recommend replacing both balances at the time time. If you have an old balance and new balance in the same window, then the new balance will have to work extra hard to make up for the weaker, older balance's slack, and it will wear out quicker. It's up to you, though. I will send you a custom order form for four balances. If you would like me to adjust it, let me know and I'd be happy to do so.

You can lubricate the stubborn windows first and see if that helps. We recommend silicone spray over WD-40, since it is less likely to attract dust and debris.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)