SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Identifying the correct sash balance

A quick learner from Goleta California says:
I have to replace a number of old sash balances on my Andersen double hung windows. The windows date from 1986. I'm going to try and do this myself (using your YouTube tutorial!). I had to replace a couple of balances a few years ago, and the fellow charged me big bucks. But, I obviously want to order the correct balances. Is there a way to do this--that is identify the correct balance--before I remove the old one? I assume the old balances will have a part # on them, but I'd rather not dis-assemble the window beforehand.
Thanks for your help. Scott
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Scott. You could give me the size of the visible glass (width x height in inches) and I can make a recommendation, but keep in mind it's not considered the most reliable method. The only way to be 100% sure is to tell me the numbers printed on each balance box.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)