SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Improvising a Sliding Closet Door

A handy person from West Suburban Chicago says:
I have a 96" wide closet opening and opted to install four, 24" wide 1-3/8" wooden door panels (two outer on the front rail and two inner on the back rail) instead of two, 48" wide doors. The doors will travel beyond the standard "goal post" type floor guides, unless I add at least one more of these standard guides to the floor which may look bad. I'm looking for a low profile floor track solution, similar to mirrored sliding doors, that may work instead. Any suggestions?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Our 23-243 is a 96" long bottom door track. You could possibly use this in addition to our 23-268 bottom guide. What do you think of these options?
A professional from California says:
I've run into doors with multiple floor guides... literally. Once you leave a guide, it is almost guaranteed that the door will hit the guide wrong going back in. Top hung doors are bad enough with only 2 panels. A third one messes it up worse.
A handy person from West Suburban Chicago says:
Thanks Paul! That just might work!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)