SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

In search of new springs.

A home owner from Bryant Arkansas says:
I do not know the manufacturer of these windows. I believe they are vinyl tilt in windows. The opening for the window frame is 30 3/4" * 58 3/4" from side to side and top to bottom.
User submitted photos of a coil window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Looking at you photos, you seem to have something like our 15-186 coil balance clip. This could mean you have the Series 190 spring, but to be honest the clip is not the best thing to go by. Is there any way we can see a close up picture of the shoe? It would be even better if it were removed from the window. Thanks!
A home owner from Bryant AR says:
Here is the left shoe when looking from inside to outside.
User submitted photos of a pivot shoe.
A quick learner says:
I think I need .187 foam filled bubble seal for the bottom of my windows. I need both left and right shoes and both balance mounts.
User submitted a photo of a pivot shoe.
Profile picture of Paul
Great, thank you! This shoe looks like our 15-180, which confirms my earlier suggestions for the clip and spring. I'm not sure about the weatherseal, though. It could be either our 58-182 or 58-183, but it is too damaged to tell. Look over the dimensions we show for both and see which is closer.
A quick learner says:
Thank you. I still do not know which one of the below numbers I need for my series 190 spring:

440 540 640 740 832

What do these numbers represent?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
These numbers represent the strength of the spring. Typically, you can cross-reference the number printed on your existing spring with the ones you listed from our site. What is printed on your springs?
A quick learner says:
There is nothing printed on the spring that I can find. The window is 32" wide and is constructed of vinyl if that helps.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hmmm... how about this. Give me the weight of the sash and how many springs are used on each side and we can suggest a number then.
A quick learner says:
Ok, so I lost focus on this issue, I have found time to come back to it. I have re-looked at the balance springs and I have found an "8" stamped on one of the pieces. Does this help determine which replacement to use?
Profile picture of Paul
Thank you! Yes, that helps. With a stamp of 8, I would recommend the S190-832. the "32" in this case represents the spring length in inches. 32" is a common length used in most windows. If your sash is taller than normal, though, you could consider our S190-840.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)