SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Inserting stem for 40-149 knob latch

A home owner from Tucson AZ says:
Is there a trick to inserting the stem into the knob section? The lengh of the stem and depth of the "hole" are identical and the slots on the stem line up appropriately. But I can get the stem to sink in fully; it stops about one-half inch short. The stem on the original lock (which this order is replacing) is exactly the same and fits perfectly; the replacement stem does not. Help please.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! It's weird that the stem of our 40-149 won't work even though it's the same. Try turning the handle to line it up with stem and see if that helps.
A home owner from Tucson, Ariizona says:
All parts of the new lock and my old lock (broken handle) are totally interchangeable EXCEPT the barrel that houses the stem will not full sit into the knob. I have noticed that the barrel on my old lock is tapered whereas the barrel on the new lock is the same circumferance throughout. Do I have a faulty lock?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm not sure. I don't think so. The key plug for our 40-149 indents at the end, but I'm not sure if I would call it tapering. Could I perhaps see a few pictures of the key cylinder you received with your order of 40-149 next to your original cylinder? That would help us determine what you need for sure.
A home owner from Tucson, Arizona says:
Second attempt to submit - have doubts about first attempt being successful. Attached is the photo you requested.
User submitted photos of a door knob cylinder.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see. It looks like your old spindle is much longer than the new one. How thick is your door? The 40-149 is made for doors that are only 7/8" to 1-1/8" thick.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)