SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Inside Handle, 40-150: modification to fit

A quick learner from Cornwall, NY says:
Problem: The inside handle for a storm door became inoperable when the handle would just hang down w/o staying horizontal to provide latching to the door jamb plate. I recognized this handle effected a spring driven return to horizontal action to latch and found it unrepairable.

The image @ Swisco seemed the exact shape and ordered it. Upon receipt, I initially thought this would not work since the square hole in the handle was too small but then learned there is a square insert that can be removed by loosening the set screw. Looked like the correct square hole size now, but then found it inserted only 1/2 way since the hole was tapered and smaller than the square rod that passed thru the door to the outside handle.

The rod cannot be cut since the set screw in the handle must engage the rod to create a firm coupling. FIX: the rod is aluminum. I removed the entire handle assembly from the door to make it easier to hold and using a flat file uniformly reduced the size of the exposed aluminum rod end to fully insert into the handle. Took about 10 minutes but after cleaning and lubricating it works like new. Hope this helps someone else. Ben
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for this information, Ben! That's a clever solution. I hope this helps other customers in the future, as well.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)