SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Installation of replacement 850 balance

A home owner from Atglen, PA says:
I ordered an 850 Series cross bow balance, 38". This matches the length of the broken balance, from the rod to the shoe. However, I'm not sure exactly how to install the part or if I've ordered the correct part. The entire window height is approx. 74 inches. In the attached picture, you can see the broken balance next to the replacement balance. My question is why does the cord in the broken balance extend all the way to the top of the channel, and the replacement balance there is no additional cord length? I've also attached an image of a balance that is still working and you can see how the cord comes up through the top plastic collar (?) to the reach the height of the window. Do I need to order a balance that meets the entire window height?

Thanks, Denis
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! I can't see the shoe of your balance, so I can't be sure if the Series 850 is correct, but it looks to be the same style from what I can see. Don't worry about the string, when these balances break the whole assembly kind of pops apart and barely even resembles what it's supposed to look like when it's working properly. When you install the new balance, you will see that our string extends, as well, just like in your second picture. You can see this happening in the video below, which also happens to provide installation instructions.
A home owner from Atglen, PA says:
Hi Paul, thanks for the reply, I was able to install one of the balances, and the process was very much like in the video, just a little different since my window is larger. But on one side of the window, a small square plastic anchor broke off after I screwed in the balance at the top of the channel. Now, I'm unable to attach the other balance, since there is nothing to take the screw. I tried looking for a replacement but can't quite find a match. I"ll send a picture soon. Thanks again
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
It sounds like that particular balance used an old nylon hook. That's how these balances were designed once upon a time, but the manufacturer changed it to a screw-on clip years ago. Fortunately, we sell the 26-200 screw plug. This fits right inside that old hole, allowing you to use the screw-on clip.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)