SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Installation of storm window latch

A home owner from Naperville, IL says:
When I attempted to slide the storm window part of my door down to expose the screen, the left-handed nylon slide bolt broke in half, and flew out of the channel along with the spring with nylon retainer.

My broken part appears to be an exact match to your part number 91-056 but I do not know if I should also order the spring. My spring looks like your spring 91-003 except for there is a tightly wound section of my spring in the middle.

Either way, I wold like to know how to re-install the slide bolt and spring.

Thanking you in advance for a quick response - because the weather here is finally getting warm!
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Look on the bottom lift rail of the storm sash, you should have a small square cut out. That cut out is to hold the spring clip in the frame, the protrusion at the plastic end of the spring clip will push through the hole.

First, place the 91-003 spring clip into the rear section of the 91-056 latch.

Next, slide the latch into the handle section of the insert and depress the spring clip as you push the latch into the handle section; the spring clip should catch in the small cut out and lock itself in.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)