Installing the rivet in roller kit 81-266

A quick learner from Knoxville, TN says:
Hello,
I searched for an answer to my question but did not find it. What should I use to install the rivet which comes with the 81-266 roller kit? This is the 1.25" diameter roller kit for sliding glass patio doors. The rivet needs to be very compact since there is very little room for the formed head (as you probably know). I found a rivet installation tool on your site but was not sure if the formed head would end up small enough.

Thank you for any help and Merry Christmas,
Paul
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! I see you were looking at our 75-075 rivet tool. I do not recommend this part, as it is for small balance rivets.

To mushroom patio door wheel rivets like those that come with the 81-266, you need a hard surface like a steel plate, a hammer, and a Phillips-head screw driver. Line up your wheel, housing and rivet on the flat hard surface and use the Phillips tip and hammer to start hammering the rivet. That will begin spreading the rivet, and once it spreads enough you would remove the screw tip and continue hammering the rivet to flatten it out.
Thank you for your quick response, Paul. Your advice certainly helped me with the rivet installation. I will pass along the tools and technique that I ended up using. Maybe this will help someone else.

The phillips screwdriver that I had on hand needed to be larger...it probably makes sense to use a large phillips for the task. After I expanded the rivet with the phillips screwdriver, I used a large chisel and a sledge hammer to cut / form the rivet head 4 to 6 times in a radial manner (since the screwdriver had not achieved this and it was necessary to form / flatten the rivet head). Then I used a small hammer to flatten the rivet head. That's pretty much it for the rivet installation. All of this was done on a concrete floor with an old roller under the new rivet and new roller.

I learned that this rivet is known as a semi-tubular rivet.

Before attempting removal of the old rivets, you may want to purchase some high quality 1/8" drill bits that are intended for drilling in steel (only for the pilot hole). Common drill bits might slowly a pilot hole in one or two rivets. After that you've got a dull drill bit. For the larger sizes after the 1/8" pilot hole is drilled, common drill bits should suffice if they are fairly sharp.
Profile picture of Paul
That's awesome, thank you for providing such a detailed method. I am certain this will help other customers in the future!
You are welcome, Paul. Your online discussion system has been helpful. Your responsiveness is commendable and not easy to find.

My apologies for typographical errors in my postings.

God's blessings and happy new year,
Paul
Profile picture of Paul
Well, we certainly try our best. It's thanks to helpers like you that we are able to provide such a wide-ranging service. Have a happy new year and feel free to contribute at any point in the future!
How to Repair Sliding Glass Door Roller Wheels and Axles
How to Repair Sliding Glass Door Roller Wheels and Axles
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.