SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Installing the track cover over my existing patio door track

A handy person from Pennsylvania says:
My existing track is aluminum, about 3/16" (or less) thick and about 3/8" high, with dips and long sags throughout its length. The top of this track has "rounded" to conform to the shape of my door rollers and is only 1/4" high in some areas. My 4' wide wood framed door is extremely heavy, well over 100 lbs. I am planning on putting the "Large Track Cover" over the existing track. But since the new track cover is 9/16" high, it will not contact the top of my existing rail which is 3/8" or less high. Will the new 8' track be able to hold up my door without any support from the damaged old track? will the two sides of the track simply buckle under the weight of the door and splay outwards? Instead of a cover, should I cut out the esisting damaged rail and replace it with a new Sliding Glass Door Track??? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
It is hard to recommend if you should use the 80-100 replacement patio glass door track cover or the 80-105 replacement patio glass door track. I have used the 80-100 replacement track cover for heavy 48x80 insulated patio glass doors and the door worked fine. I did run into a problem reinstalling the patio door because of the increase in height of the track cover, but once I did get the door back on the track it worked fine. So definitely check the height difference if you are to use the replacement track cover to make sure you will be able to get the glass doors back onto the track.
A quick learner says:
I have worn and folded down track currently and am wanting to get this track cover. But, what if the door will not fit back on the new track because of height, what do you do?
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
You may have to cut off the old track, and then attach a track replacement, Swisco's 80-106 6' Sliding Glass Door Track.
A handy person from Marco Island, FL says:
I have a 3 panel 12' slider that rides on a 16' rail when the door pocket is included. the track is worn is some areas. I see that you offer an 8' Sliding Door Track Cover, Small. If I use 2 length am I going to experience a "bump" when the door slides over the joint or will it ba a smooth transistion?
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Unfortunately I do believe you will experience a "bump". This is a difficult problem to prevent, especially when two tracks are pieced together.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)