SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Installing wool pile without access to frame end

A quick learner from Scottsdale Arizona says:
have 14 year old patio door (image) I am needing to replace wool pile stips as shown in photo. The stips are designed to slide in the "channel" from the end of the metal frame. I can't take the frame off at this point to access the frame end. I am wondering if the backing on the wool strips is flexible enough to get into the channel without access to the end of the frame, or perhaps an adhesive backing? Do you have any thoughts?
A customer submitted photo of their wool pile track.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! This is a good question. When we try to replace woolpile weatherstripping, and we can't take frame apart, we do this: first, cut out the old woolpile and remove it. Then, place new woolpile in one side of groove and with a putty knife and work in the opposite side to lock it in. Work your way across and it cut off at the end of frame.

We do have an adhesive weatherstripping, if you prefer. Please take a look at our 58-026 Wool Pile with Stick-on Base.
A quick learner from Port Jefferson Station NY says:
I tried this method with no success....

This is what I did....

I opened up the slot ~1"long using a 3/16" end mill in my drill.

Then I inserted the felt strip 1 end at a time...

until all the felt in the groove.

The last inch is a tight fit but it will fit.

Hope this helps
A home owner says:
I'm running into the same issue, but on a vinyl door. I'm not inclined to modify any part of the door with a drill, and would prefer to attempt the method suggested by swisco. Why didn't the suggestion of working the wool pile into the channel work? I was hoping I could have a surefire way of doing this before I go through all the effort of taking the 60 lb moving panel out and get to work on this.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)