Is 26-175 the missing part for my window?

A home owner from Bethlehem, PA says:
Please see attached images. We are missing the part that goes in the bottom left and right corners of the bottom half of this CertainTeed double hung window. We just purchased this home (built in 1920) so I have no idea when this window was installed or who installed it. Because it is missing the hardware at the bottom, the only part keeping it in when you lift it up are the plastic clips at the top. We would love to be able to put a window AC unit in this window and we need the missing hardware to do that. Well, I have 8 pictures to upload and it's only letting me upload 5... argh. We are missing the metal "pin" that goes into the U-shaped hardware in the window frame.
Window parts
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Yes, I think our new style 26-175 pivot bar pair can work for you.
A home owner from Bethlehem PA says:
Thank you so much!! Do I need to order one or two? Like does the part come in a pair for left and right or do I need to order a quantity of two? Thank you.
Profile picture of Tom
A single order of 26-175 contains one pair of opposite-handed pivot bars; two bars per order. If you only have one window, you will only need one pair.
Okay, I got the part in the mail last week, but there were no instructions about how to install it and there were no screws that came with it. How do I know how to install it? Does it just snap in our something? It doesn't seem very intuitive given the shape of the hardware and the construction of the window and the frame. Thank you.
Okay, so I just went to the product page for this part and read the following:
"Helpful Tip!
This part does not include new fasteners. Do not throw away your original screws, you will need them for the installation of your new part."

Um, this is not helpful in our situation at all because our Pivot bars were missing in the first place so we have NO screws. Ugh. Why would the new part not come with screws???

I would love to finally be able to open this window.

Since we have no screws and cannot install the part...can anyone recommend the proper size block of wood I could go get to prop the damn window open then???

So disappointing.
Profile picture of Tom
I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. The reason the 26-175 doesn't come with screws is because it works on many different sized windows, and all of them use different sized screws. It just isn't possible to have the 26-175 come with every single compatible screw. At that point, you'd basically be getting a box of screws of varying sizes and you'd be back at square one.

Do you have an identical window elsewhere in the house that uses the same hardware? If so, you can remove one of those screws and take it in to a hardware store for them to match up.
Good Afternoon,
No we do not have an identical window in this home. We purchased it in June. It was built in 1920. Some of the windows are original to the house and some have been replaced. None of them seem to have been replaced at the same time. We have NO way of knowing what size screw will fit this unless you can offer some helpful suggestions.
It is very frustrating to finally have the right part (I think. I don't even know because we can't try it yet without screws) and still not be able to use this large window, which is the only window in our kitchen and the only window (besides the laundry room window) on the first floor of our home in which we can install a window AC unit (right now we have one in the laundry room with two fans poorly trying to bring it to the front of the house).
Profile picture of Tom
I see. I totally understand your frustration, but there is only so much we can do on this end. There is just no way to know for sure what screw you need. One common screw for this pivot bar is a #6 x 5/8" flat head, like our 33-088, but this is just an educated guess. There is a good chance you need a #6 sized screw, but I just can't know the length.
SWISCO 26-175 CertainTeed Pivot Bar Pair
SWISCO 26-175 CertainTeed Pivot Bar Pair
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.