SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Is it ok to use Metal rollers to replace old plastic ones?

A quick learner from Pasadena, CA says:
I have an older sliding glass door where I had the choice to replace the wheels with new steel rollers rather than the old ones that were in there that were plastic. I went to my local glass shop and they ordered me a pair of after market wheels. (they should be here by Wednesday)

After ordering them I'm now concerned that the new steel wheels may cause excess wear on my bottom track. (it's aluminum and in pretty good condition)

Should I be concerned and/or insist on getting plastic instead?

Thanks in advance!
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Patio glass doors normally do come with metal rollers, actually. To be honest, if I were in your shoes, I would also have changed over to that kind. As long as the wheels are operating properly you should be okay. Maybe install a track cover if you're afraid of wear. See our 80-100, 80-102, and 80-103, as well as the video below.
A quick learner from Pasadena says:
Thanks for the quick reply and advice -- the track the door is in is still in pretty good shape, but i now know where to go if it needs some repair.

This forum you guys set-up is great! -- i now know where I'm going when I need more rollers and stuff!
A professional from California says:
I've seen broken plastic wheels grind up tracks worse than metal. Just replace whatever is in there when it stops working and you should be fine. Metal wheels that are rolling properly should not cause damage.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)