SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Is the 40-181 Heavy Duty Door Closer right for me?

A quick learner from Dexter, Michigan says:
Hi,

We've replaced the closing mechanism on our screen door once already (with an ordinary product from our local hardware store). Now it's broken again, but this time the metal bracket pulled away from the door frame. I want to repair it again and I wonder if the 40-181 is the right choice. The screen door leads to a small porch that tends to act as a wind tunnel. If the door doesn't close properly, and latch, the wind will catch it and slam it against the edge of the porch ceiling, warping the door. I think I need a stronger closer, and maybe a better latch too.

I'm attaching a photo of the bent metal bracket that pulled away from the door frame (bottom right), the entire mechanism (top right), and the porch, illustrating the wind-tunnel setting.

Please let me know what you recommend. I look forward to hearing from you.

thanks,
Aimee
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Aimee. I think that the 40-181 Heavy-Duty door closer would be over-kill, as well as being a little tricky to install. I think the 40-154 might be a better choice for your storm door. Take a look and see if you agree. I would also recommend taking a look at our 40-036 wind chain.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)