SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Is the 80-100 cover strong enough for me?

A home owner from Seattle, WA says:
We have an 8ft., very heavy, double pane sliding door. House is 47 yrs old. The track was very worn, almost flat and the door was basically sliding steel on steel. We have been trying to get it repaired for several years but were told they no longer could get replacement rollers,etc no one was interested. Last Oct.we paid over $400 to have new rollers and a cap installed.Now,6 months later, the new track is worn in the same spot, it is again difficult to open the door .Like others who have written, we wonder if the 80-100 track is strong enough,is there some way we could reinforce the low spot. The installer said he would see if he could install another track
over the one he put in previously, we have not heard back from him. I do not know what type roller
they used, hopefully I can find out. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. The original track is installed over concrete.
A frustrated homeowner.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Hopefully your installer used the correct roller replacement. If the wrong roller was used, it could cause problems with not only the sliding operation but it could damage the door track overtime.

Unfortunately, it is not going to be easy to determine if your installer used the correct replacement if you do not have any of the original rollers left. You can try removing your sliding doors and see if any of the original rollers still exist on the door (maybe your installer did not replace all the rollers).

Are the new rollers working ok or is just the bump in the track that is causing all the problems?

It is possible you can cover the other track cover with the 80-100 track cover but it could cause a problem with the increase in height. The increase in height could possibly make it impossible to get the sliding door back into the door frame.

I know of one patio glass door contractor that recommends that you fill any voids in the existing track with epoxy before putting down the new track cover for added support. I always had success just using the track cover - but the epoxy is probably a good idea for such a heavy door (especially considering the last track cover failed already).

If you would like help choosing a replacement roller, remove one of the rollers from your door and take a few pictures of it. Submit those pictures here for us to look at. Also include the brand name of your door and any other helpful information you know about this sliding door.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)