SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Is this the right channel balance?

A quick learner from O'Fallon, IL says:
Hi,

My channel balances aren't working. The windows are low quality (BiltBest?) contractor grade vinyl single hung.

The windows are very hard to open, won't stay open, and make lots of noise when you try to open them.

The metal channels are stamped (01/3) UNIQUE 27-C-30.

The metal channels are 28" long.

I took the sash out and weighed it (18 lbs.)

Is your S795-28 the one I need?

Thanks
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I can't tell if you have our Series 795 based on this information. Based on the pictures we have for the S795-28, does it match your own hardware?

Now, let's talk about the option. Your original balance was stamped with 28C, which can carry a window sash weight of 18 through 23 pounds, but since you say the window was hard to open you may want to go with our 28B, which can support a sash weight of 12 through 18 pounds.
Thanks for getting back with me!
Looking at the pictures of the S795-28, they look like they have the same top and bottom.
I'll order the 28B, but I guess I'm a bit confused. I would have thought that the "C" would have had heavier duty springs, which would have made it easier to open. I wonder if some of what's making it hard to open is due to poor fit of the windows and/or friction in the channel that the sash slides in. Is any type of lubricant recommended?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Honestly, you may be okay with the 28C, but the 28B could also work and may make things easier. At the end of the day, you could just lubricate it and see if that works. I recommend silicone spray.
Ok, thanks, I'll try the 28B.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)