Jordan window balances

A home owner from Arizona, USA says:
Good Day

I have a house built in late 2002, which is in Arizona. The entire home has Jordan windows.

My problem is that the”vertical” operating style windows are difficult to open/close, and there is problems/issues with the channel balances.

Specifically, the issue is that 2 of the vertical windows need repair. On one the spring loaded ‘channel balance’ has the string broken and hence is inoperable. On both windows the channels want to release/fall out of the windows.

I need assistance in the identification of the window series/models so that I might obtain the proper repair materials. I also would like to identify what the procedure(s) are to fix the windows

Sincerely

Roy
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Roy. Sounds like the balances need to replaced if the strings are broken. You may not need to know the window series to identify what balance you need. Check out our Sash Support Balances & Hardware Section to find what a balance that matches what you have. Once you identify the Series, I can tell you how you can properly replace it.
A home owner from Arizona, USA says:
Tom I have one of my windows out and the balances are intact but what is the procedure to put them back in place so that they stay inside the window?
thanks
Roy

I have measured the shoes and the units looks to S390-29. Stamped on the one that is "broken" is the following: 28 6 GU CMC 5. I hope this provides the info to determine the stamp weight range requirements.
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks for getting back to us, Roy. If you have the S390-29, then you might want to check out our 2860 option. That's usually what corresponds to a stamp of 28 6. You should weigh your window sash just in case, to make sure it's correct.

As for how to reinstall them, check out the video below.
A handy person from Arizona says:
Tom
I have been able to re-install the balances on the window where the two balances had just "come loose"
They are back in place and the window seems to be operational.
Thanks for the videos and advice.
Now the window seemed heavy but I did not weigh it. What would be the issues if I order a set of the S390-29 stamp 2860? If the window is a bit lighter will the heavier duty balance just make the window move easier and maybe a bit quicker?
Profile picture of Tom
No, if the window is lighter than the option you've selected, then the window will not operate correctly and may even cause damage to the window. These are very delicate systems and you want to make sure to replace them with just what is needed. I would definitely weigh your sash and make sure that you know the weight.
A quick learner says:
Tom
OK I will remove the window with the broken balance and weigh it prior to making the order
Thanks
Roy
Profile picture of Tom
Great! Let me know what you come up with.
A quick learner says:
Will
Do!
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.