SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Kawneer Double door center weatherstrip

A quick learner from WI says:
Hi, we have a double door entry on a commercial building. I think that the doors date back to approximately 2005-2007. We need to replace the weather strip on the edge of the door. It appears that it is attached with screws and has a gray felt like material. See images. It also looks like it has to fit in a specific channel.

Please let me know if you carry this item.

Thanks!
David
User submitted a photo of commercial door weatherstripping.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Hello! There are two types of weatherseal you should consider. First look at our 58-085 or maybe our 58-111. Let me know what you think!
A quick learner from WI says:
Hi Dave,

I received the 58-111 the other day. It appears to fit..and be pretty close to the original product...but the mounting holes do not line up at all. Do i need to drill new holes....or is there another product (other than 085) that I need to consider. Also, the original Kawneer product has a more rigid/full felt type material.

THanks,
Dave.
Profile picture of Dave
The holes could be a problem. Is the 58-111 the correct height, or do you have to cut it? What I mean is that if you have to cut it you might be able to line up the holes with the original piece before cutting to size. If not, I would suggest drilling new holes. I think the drill bit size could be an 1/8" or 7/64", but that would depend on the screws you are using.

The 58-111 is a genuine Kawneer product and what they use on their current doors. I believe they are making it a lighter gauge then the original (like every thing else made today). That may account for the difference.
A quick learner says:
Hi Dave, length of the current piece is 7 feet. Yours is 8 feet. I have to cut it...but no matter which side i cut....the holes do not match up. My guess is that the holes have to be threaded if i use the origingal fasteners...or do you know if they are self-tapping?

I can get about 2 holes to match up..the rest are all off.

Thanks,
Dave.
Profile picture of Dave
That's good, I would try to at least match up the two holes if you can. As for the screws, take a close look at the end of the screw. Even though they may have a machine thread, they could actually be what is called a thread cutting screw. That means that you only need to drill the correct size hole and the screw will tap itself into the metal. I believe it could have a type F point.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)