SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Keller window crank

A friend from Hawaii says:
Aloha,

I'm trying to help a friend. Her window cranks were not working "very well", oxidation got the best of it. I went to Home Depot and found out they have a left and right Keller window crank. The holes were stripped and enlarged due to the oxidation of the aluminum. Everything seemed to be going smoothly once I got the right screws (so I thought)...

After I removed both left and right cranks, the windows move out and in freely. Once I found "what seemed" the correct screws, The windows OPEN fine, but when I try to close them, then stop about 3-4 inches before closing all the way.

Something MUST be binding, but I can't figure out WHAT!! I made sure the screws weren't TOO long, in case they dragged on the bottom bar (screws on the bottom holes).

I was looking at your catalog, and noticed there are VERY subtle differences in the sizes. One of the cranks I bought reads: 3667-A. If, for some reason if that 2-3/8" control arm is off by 1/8" (different manufacture. I don't/can't read the original crank handles, they just LOOk like the same ones), could this be the problem of why the windows won't close all the way???

Thank you in advance!!!

Signed,
EXTREMELY fustrated in Hawaii
(Bert)
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
The arm says it measures 2-3/8" because the original was 2-3/8, however it actuality measures 2". This measurement will not be noticeable because there is a bit of travel room.

I know you said that the window was opening smoothly, but it sounds like the operator you have is stripped. If the installation holes line up to our 39-061 awning operator, I strongly suggest trying it.
A quick learner from Hawaii says:
Thanks for your reply Donna, I'll check it out :) !!
Bert
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)