SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Key Tumbler 82-302

A home owner from Chattanooga, TN says:
If the lock tumbler 82-302 is too long, cold you possibly trim it down to size?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
You could possibly cut or file down the tail on the cylinder. Could that work for you? If not, could I see a few pictures of your setup? That may help us come up with a better solution.
A handy person from Chattanooga TN says:
Lock on the left is the current lock. Lock on right is your 82-302. When I install 82-302 and tighten the screws on the handle it binds and will not move. The original lock measures 3/4"
User submitted photo of their door handle.
A handy person from Chattanooga TN says:
Door application
User submitted a photo of a patio door handle.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thank you. I see exactly what you mean. I've looked all over and haven't been able to find a shorter version of this cylinder. I've found longer, but not shorter.

I hate to bother you, but is there any way you can send us a photo of just the key cylinders side by side like you did, but removed from the handle set? Maybe then we can suggest a solution. I know it's annoying but that's the only thing I can think of that may work!
A quick learner from Chattanooga TN says:
I solved the problem by filing down the tab that the lock cylinder was resting on when the handles were put on the door. The tab caused the lock barrel to bind. I also filed down the tail on the lock.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)