SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Key cylinder addition

A quick learner from Surrey, British Columbia says:
I was looking at the installation oil of your 82-309 lockset in which I am interested. In reviewing my existing hardware I have noticed some differences that could require a different model. Attached are photos of the lock and handle. What do you suggest I add for a keyed entry?
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Looking over your photos, it appears that the inside lever latch is located toward the bottom of the handle. However, looking at the outside handle, the key plug knock out hole looks like it is centered in the handle. I'm not sure you could install a key plug to work for you door. You may want to consider a new handle set that would have a key cylinder hole compatible with your mortise lock. Take a look at our 82-073 or 82-074, depending on the thickness of your door. These have a key cylinder hole that is oriented on the bottom, so it should align with your mortise lock.
A professional from CA says:
The picture may be deceiving, but it looks like the top screw is in the cut out portion of the mortise lock. This means that the lever is centered on the handle. The punch out should line up. Line it up on the door to verify. If the lever lines up where the punch out is, you should be OK. Remember to clean up the edges of the punch out. The cylinder should sit almost flush with the outside of the handle and spin freely. Then you should be able to make it work. I see that the tab on your lever extends all the way through the lock. This will have to be cut down. Make sure the 2 tabs almost meet in the center of the lock. They cannot touch. That causes binding. This can be tricky and you may want to contact a pro.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)