SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Key lock

A quick learner from Camden says:
I bought a key lock 82310 from you guys. I was trying to install it but the key lock is way to out from the handle. What do I need to do for the key lock to fit correctly
User submitted photos of a patio door handle.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
You will need to cut the key spindle to the proper size. I recommend using your old key spindle as reference. The video below may also help.
A quick learner from camden says:
I am aware of that. what I have a question is that the key lock it sticks out that I can't screw it close to the door to connect it with the other door handle. What other option I have.
thank you
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Oh, I see. I apologize for the confusion. There are two reasons it could be holding up in the outside handle. One could be that the head of the key cylinder where the key goes into the tumbler must protrude out a little from the handle. I would suggest using a rat tail file and enlarge the hole a little to do this. I believe you can see the head of the cylinder sticking out a little in the video on installing a key lock. If that doesn't do the trick, file the hole in the patio door just a little so the the end of the tail piece goes into the door rail.
A quick learner from Camden says:
Thank you for the advice and I will try to install it. If I have any problems, I will email you if there is other oprions to resolve this issue. Thank you again for your help.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)