SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Key lock for 82-041

A home owner from Front Royal Va says:
Hello, I have an 82-041. I would like to have the ability to open from outside via key. I am wondering if an 82-310 would work to make keyed entry possible. If not can you recommend a keyed mechanism for an 82-041?

Thanks, Phil
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Phil. You're right, the 82-310 can definitely work with the 82-041. You just need to punch out the hole in the exterior handle.
A home owner from Front Royal Va says:
Great, thanks for the quick reply.
Follow up question: if I order two 82-310's for my two sliding glass doors is there any way to order such that the key's match (i.e. same key opens each lock)? Sorry if this has been answered already. (I saw a Q/A saying that if the keys fit perhaps a locksmith can re-key, just trying to avoid steps if possible)

Thanks again, Phil
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
It's no problem at all Phil. We're here to answer all your questions. Unfortunately, we are not able to supply another 82-310 that is keyed alike. A locksmith may be able to help, but you would need to contact one to be sure. The 82-310 uses a Kwikset KW1 key way. If you give a locksmith this information, they should be able to tell you if they are able to make you new keys for it.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)