SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Kinco Mark V (TW-1) Plain Channel Balance

A handy person from Orange Park says:
The existing balance is 1/2" wide (across channel legs) and 5/8" deep. The ones I need the most are 29" long. The spring is just shy of 1/2" diameter. The pivot lock shoe is very similar to 15-105. The sash pivot bar looks similar to 26-108. But I can't find the balance. I believe the one shown is missing the bar at the top to hold the spring.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! I think this balance will have to be custom made. However, before we can begin, I just need to know a bit more information. First, are there any stamps or markings on the balance? If not, can you tell me what the weight of the window sash is? That will help us determine what option you need.
It says "K2850". I will have to pull a sash and take it with me on the bathroom scale. I can tell you they are not light.
Profile picture of Tom
Yes, knowing the weight would be a huge help. K2850 actually does give me an idea, but since this balance will need to be custom made I think it's best that we know exactly what we're working with. Let me know!
Tom, finally got around to pulling out some of the windows. We have essentially two sizes of windows: a 32" w x 60" h with a sash that weighs 23 lbs; and a 48" w x 60" h with a sash that weighs 35 lbs.

I've got about 7 windows with broken sash balances and another 3-4 with other problems. My initial guess is that the "K" stands for "Kinco" (the local manufacturer) and the "2850" stands for 2'-8" x 5'-0". But on further investigation, the 32" wide windows have balances that read "K2840" and the 48" wide windows read "K2850".

The windows have always been hard to open and heavy, so I'm not 100% confident that right balances were in them day-one. Thanks for continuing to help me with this. --Brian B.
Profile picture of Tom
Great! Thank you. Those stamps do not have anything to do with the size of the window, they're just a code that helps us determine what the spring strength is. It's more helpful to know the sash weight, though; like you said, the spring strength may have been wrong in the first place.

Now, before we get started, can you just confirm the length of each balance that goes with each sash weight? That is, what is the length of the balance for the 23 pound sash and what is the length of the balance for the 35 pound sash? Or are they both 29" long?

With that information in mind we can get the ball rolling on your hardware!
Yes, just double-checked... they are both 29" long.
Profile picture of Tom
Okay, that should be everything. For the 23 pound sash, check out this Order Form for a 2830 Balance. For the 35 pound sash, see instead this Order Form for a 2860 Balance. Once you fill out and submit the information, one of our representatives will get back to you with a price quote for each, as well as custom items to add to your cart so it's all in one order.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)