SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Kinco Window balance replacement

A home owner from Tampa says:
Hi,
I believe I have Kinco windows and am trying to find replacement channel balances. I have a series of windows throughout the house all of which are starting to have problems with the channel balance. The house is only 7 years old. I am beginning to understand why Kinco may have gone out of business. :)

I believe the match to my top sash guide is product code: 18-166. I attached a picture of my top sash guide as well.

This lead me to believe the following would also be a match:
30 inch Series 380 with 19-005 and 15-005. They are not exact, but based upon the pictures I have attached do you think this would work? Any other suggestions? I am thinking of buying quite a few so I wanted to make sure I get it right.

Thanks,
Dave
user submitted photo of channel balance, attachments and top guide
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Hi Dave,
I think you should go with a S385-30 with the 2930 option, which has the 19-005 top and 15-004 shoe attached.

To check if the 2930 would be a good strength balance replacement, remove the window sash and place it on a scale to see if the weight falls anywhere from 16 pounds through and including 23 pounds.

For the top sash carriers, 18-166 as you suggest looks close but also look at 18-044, also used by Kinco.

Balance stamp information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.
Hi Donna,

Thanks for the response. When I took the window sash down to weigh it I confirmed the carrier is a 18-166 (I will purchase 3 of these). When analyzing things closer and looking at all of my windows which are having problems I discovered there are three different sizes and weights. To start I will need two balances for each. Can you please assist me in finalizing the strentgh of the balance replacement. I believe these fittings which you suggested will be good for all: 19-005 top and 15-004 shoe. The additional specification are as follows:

1)
-Balance Length: 30 inches
-Markings on Balance: 29 3 DX CMC 7
-Weight of sash: 15 LBS.

2)
-Balance Length: 30 inches
-Markings on Balance: 29 9 KW CMC 11
-Weight of sash: 28 LBS.

3)
-Balance Length: 35 inches
-Markings on Balance: 34 9 KW CMC 11
-Weight of sash: 35 LBS.

Thanks for all your continued help,
Dave
Profile picture of Donna
Hi Dave,

1) Stamp option 2920 will carry a window sash weight range of 12 through and including 16 pounds.

2) You have two options for 28 pounds
Stamp 2940 will carry 23-28 lbs
Stamp 2950 will carry 28-32 lbs

3) 35 pounds is a very heavy sash for a 35 inch balance, this will require a custom strength balance.
Thanks Donna,

Let's go with 2950 for line item "2)". So to summarize I believe I will be ordering the following:

1) Quantity 3 of part number: 18-166
2) Quantity 2 of S385-30 with option 2920
3) Quantity 2 of S385-30 with option 2950
4) Quantity 2 of S385-35 with a custom strength

I think I got everything.

Thanks,
Dave
Profile picture of Donna
Hi Dave,
Thanks for getting back to us so quickly.
I am just waiting on product cost and availability on that last balance with the custom weight for you. As soon as I receive that information I will email you with ordering links.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)