SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Kinco tilt window balances

A home owner from Cocoa, FL says:
I have two different size tilt windows I need balance repair on. Window Manufacture Kinco, LTD (out of business). On the larger of the 2 windows I can see loose string on both sides of the balances. 30" long stamped 2940 cBSI. I tilt the sash and and try to pull it out, it will not budge, I assume I need to remove or loosen the screws from the bottom of the sash frame. This is a heavy window and with the balance broken, it will not stay up and the window locks are on the bottom. I would like to pull out the balances, but can not get the sash out and I do not see any screws holding the balances in. First off I would like to know how to remove the sash so I can take some pics and send it to you. Thank You, John
A home owner from Cocoa, FL says:
Tag on window
User submitted a photo of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. I'm not sure what the issue is, but see if you can raise the sash and have someone hold it up for you while you look underneath. There might be a screw holding the tilt bar to the sash. If so, loosen the screw and slide the tilt bar out of the cam, then tilt in the sash and try to remove it.
A quick learner from Cocoa, FL says:
Okay I finally got the sash out. A balance picture(s) attached, can you please identify series type.
30" Long
appears to be 9/16" wide
appears to be 5/8" deap
2940 stamped

I also need pivot bars for sash but I have identified those and they are in my shopping cart on this site.

Thank you.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you! Yes, we can help with this balance. We will have to custom make it, though, since yours isn't made anymore. The thing is, the manufacturer has since overhauled how they designate stamp options. Your 2940 may not be the same as our 2940. Before we start on anything, can you just give me the weight of your sash? That will allow us to confirm whether a 2940 option will work, and if not, what could. Thanks!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)