SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Knob back set

A quick learner from Massachusetts says:
I have an older screen/storm door with a knob that always gives us trouble. I took it apart and it appears the hole was drilled 1 1/2 - 1 5/8" from the edge instead of 1 3/4". Do they make lock sets with 1 1/2" back sets?

Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
They have made this type of lock set with different variations and back sets in the past. I believe that the 40-096 is the most common version today. If you want, pleasee send us a photo of what you need to replace along with dimensions. Also include a photo of your door. That would help us identify what you need.
A quick learner from Newton, MA says:
I have a lockset similar to 40-096 which has regularly given us problems, it finally stopped turning completely and I took it apart. I noticed that the hole is drilled at 1 1/2" on center instead of 1 3/4" (see attached). I suspect that when the door was originally manufactured it probably had a lockset with a 1 1/2" backset which was replaced at some point. If you look closely in the photo you'll see the hole in the metal tube that fits inside the door is off center by about 1/4" to the right.

My question is, are there any lock sets (or maybe just the tube) currently available with the 1 1/2" backset? I can't afford to spend a bunch of money on this door. If there aren't any reasonably priced lock sets, are there any other solutions?

Thanks for your advice.

Ann

User submitted a photo of door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Ann. Looking at your photo it appears that you might be able to file or drill over that center hole just a little to make up the 1/4" difference. Then, reinstall the knob plates and putty the exposed holes in the door. At one time these locks were popular for wood storm doors but not anymore. I believe this is the only available variety at this time.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)