SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Legacy Handle set key adjustment

A quick learner from Rochester, NY says:
I ordered part #82-073 to replace an old handle with no key lock. It fits perfect, I just need help on how to adjust the key lock so key can be taken out of the lock when door is locked. it needs about a 1/16 of an inch to be upright to remove key, can you help me?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I think I know what you mean. Try resetting the key cylinder position in the door. The problem you're having often happens if the key cylinder wasn't installed in the correct position, so resetting it should fix it.
A quick learner from Rochester, NY says:
Thank you for your suggestion. In trying to make adjustment I tried the key again and discovered once you hear the lock click and turn key back upright, key comes out and door is locked. Same with the opening, once lock is open turn key back upright and it works.

Thanks again.
A handy person from Rhode Island says:
Oddly I am able to get the in the upright position after installation with the 82-074 and 82-226 but I am not able to remove the key. I presume the teeth are new and it is just catching on the mechanism inside perhaps because the key teeth need to be minded at the edges gently. Note the keys are the originals not the copy. Thanks for help with this locking and unlocking works fin from inside and outside just not able to remove the key.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
If you have the key in the correct position and are still having trouble removing it from the cylinder, it could just be because it is new key. Maybe try a graphite-type lubricant made for locks to lubricate the key. That might help. Also See if a local hardware store can brush the key on their key machine wire brush wheel. That should help loosen up the key.
A quick learner from Rhode Island says:
Thanks! I used TriFlow and tried locking pliers to pull it out. Was unsuccessful. Let it sit for three days. Disassembled the handle then was able to loosen the key. Inserted the key and pulled it out several times and each time seemed to go in more smoothly. Reassembled and key removal is working. The second key sticks at one spot so I will wait and not force it in and have the hardware store brush it down. Thanks very much for your help.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)