SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Legacy hadle set for a 1 13/16 " thick door

A home owner from Michigan says:
I have a problem, I ordered a 82-034 legacy handle set. My door is 1 13/16, so the keylock's break-away tailpiece does not reach the mortise lock. It looked to me like a standard tailpiece, so I removed the keylock set from the handle and opened it, oops - not only did I find out it is not a standard handyman (me?) part, but I totally messed up the lock too. It might be like your item 82-310.

Otherwise this seems to be a perfect update to my door.

By the way, I ordered brass but received the oil rubbed bronze finish, which I am ok with keeping.

1. Should I return the messed up lockset, or discard it? (I don't care about a credit.)

2. Will I need longer screws for attaching handles? (Do you have them, in oil rubbed bronze?)

3. Can I order a new lockset with a longer tailpiece? (Do you cut it to fit my door, or do I?)

4. I didn't check the tailpiece on the inside handle, will I have the same length problem?

Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Yes, please check the inside tail piece on the lock to see if that will be long enough. Once we know that we'll go further into it. Thanks!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)