SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Lever and keylock share mortise latch?

A home owner says:
Are both the thumb lever and key lock turning shafts supposed to share half of the mortise lock? I just took over the house, and it seems the handleset had been rigged. There was only the thumb lever, which had been shortened and coupled to an aftermarket lock. I purchased and installed 82-309, and its shaft comes through the mortise latch and is flush with the latch on the lever side. The lever shaft is too short to even reach the mortise latch. My guess is, once I replace the lever, that I will have to snap off part of the key lock shaft to allow the lever to share the latch. Am I close?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
When you install the key cylinder and thumb, turn into the mortise lock. You have to cut the tails of both so that they will meet in the middle of the lock. Take your time, cut a little bit at a time, and try it in the lock. It is better not to cut too much, or else it will be to short.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)