Lock doesn't line up

A home owner from Olney, MD says:
Because of house settling or earthquake the locks (door and deadbolt) on my basement door do not line up. They are off about 1/4+ inch. I can't just move the latches down because the screw holes that hold the latches would overlap and the holes would become bigger. (Hopefully you know what I mean.) It seems like the latches are part of the entire door frame. My house was built 30 years ago. Is there a fix for this without getting an entire new doorframe and having to tear out everything. Are there larger latches to accommodate this problem? Should I go to a locksmith or door company? I would appreciate if you could give me your recommendation.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Yes, I know what you mean. Overlapping screw holes is always a problem when your only option for a replacement part is something only slightly larger. We do carry a longer strike plate which may help; see our 79-026.

There is another solution that may not require a replacement part. You might be able to square up the door by adjusting the hinges. Depending on which way the door is sagged, you can pack out one hinge (I use shirt cardboard) and recess the other one further into the jamb.

Also, if it's a wood door, you can get a carpenter to cut the door out of square to the opening.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.