Lock stuck in casement window

A quick learner says:
The lever that latches the window shut is broken -- it is completely loose and rotating it up no longer unlocks the window. I need to replace it, but the catch is that the window is locked shut, so I can't get to the screws, which are on the side that is pressed against the window. There are no visible markings on the latch, so I can't identify what kind it is either. Any ideas on who manufactures this, and on how I might go about replacing it with minimal damage to the window itself?
User submitted a photo of a window lock.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I always hate when this happens. The trouble is there is no tried and true method of fixing a stuck lock like this. If the lever does not operate the lock then you will need to cut off the locking housing to access the latch mechanism. I would suggest using a dremel type tool to cut it off. Looks like you're at a weird angle, with the corner being right there, so this may not be the easiest project. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get the help of a local handy person.
A quick learner says:
Ah, I feared as much. Thanks for the suggestions!
How to Replace a Multi-Point Lock on a Casement Window [1080p]
How to Replace a Multi-Point Lock on a Casement Window [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to open a casement window that has a broken lock
How to open a casement window that has a broken lock
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.