SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Locking mechanism on sliding glass doors

A quick learner from Massapequa says:
The top locking hook broke. I bought what I thought I needed but it only included the inside and outside door handles and key.
Do you sell the inside piece?
User submitted a photo of a patio door handle set.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Sorry to hear about the trouble. Are you referring to the mortise lock? It looks like the one you have installed now isn't a match for whatever was installed originally. Could you tell me the distance between the two original installation holes, center-to-center? Can you also tell me the width and height of the large oval hole? That will help us find a possible match.
A quick learner from Massapequa NY says:
the distance from the top to bottom installation hole is 12"
the width of the oval hole is 15/16"
the height of the oval hole is 11"
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Hello! Hopefully I can help. Like Tom said, your old mortise appears to be a mismatch with your door. Take a look at our 82-260 lock see if this is the one you are looking for.
A quick learner says:
ok will take a look, but mine was 2 pieces, the inside with the locking part and an outside plate like this:
see attachment
User submitted image of their door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
That looks an awful lot like the exterior plate for the 82-260. The hole spacing and measurements seem to match up, as well.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)