SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Looking for a keyed patio door handle

A quick learner from New Hampshire says:
The door I'm working on is missing it's handle. I want to put in a door handle with a keyed entry. The door has no identifyng marks and the only part I have is the mortise latch. Listed as "SASH CONTROLS INC. FERNDALE MICH. PT. NO. 1060-452. It looks like your part 82-218. The delima is in the Door handle. I think handle 82-031 with the 3 15/16 hole center and 82-309 might wirk but I cant tell if the parts are compatable.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for contacting us! I don't think the 82-309 will work with the 82-031. This key lock set is better suited for something like our 82-035, which you may also be able to use.

If you were particularly interested in our 82-031, though, you may be able to just use a key cylinder like our 82-310. There is a punch-hole on the outside pull for the 82-031 that you can knock out to accommodate this cylinder.
I'm glad you are here to help. So, to reap, 82-035 handle works with 82-309 lock and the 82-031 with 82-310 and both are used with the 82-218 Mortise lock. Great, but aside from looks, the combinations interchangeable? Are there any pros or cons to either set? My kids are not gentle. I assume the door thickness (about 1 3/4) won't matter much. Thanks
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
The 82-031 and 82-035 are interchangeable handle sets, yes. Between the two, there isn't much of a difference besides the style of the pull and, of course, personal preference. That said, I can tell you that the 82-309 is a little trickier to install. If you do decide to go that route, then it wouldn't be a bad idea to seek the help of a locksmith. You might want to keep that in mind when deciding what handle set to choose.
Fantastic service. You have won me over. Thank you all for your help.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Not a problem! We were happy to help.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)