SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Looking for a replacement handle that has... a handle :) for a heavy glass door

A home owner from New York says:
We have a bit of an oddball door in our house. It has a rather huge (~8-1/8th"x1-1/8th") cut-through for the original handle which is a flush inset, but the door is so heavy that it's just super hard to open.

We were hoping to replace the current flush hardware with hardware that has pull-handles on each side. Something like: http://www.swisco.com/Antiquity-Patio-Handle-Set-Black/pd/Patio-Glass-Door-Replacement-Locking-Handles/82-061

Will that sort of thing work on this door?
Is there another option?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid your images didn't come through, so I'm not sure what your old handle looked like. If it was a flush handle, though, then I don't think you'll be able to get the 82-061 to work.

If you're having issues with the door sliding, then the issue may instead be your rollers. They may need lubricating or replacement. These doors are made so it won't take much effort to open and close them, so if it does then that usually means something is up with the rollers.
A quick learner from New York says:
Hmmm. I'll look into the rollers. One thing that's weird about the door is that it's installed in reverse (the slide track is outdoor facing)

here's another attempt at uploading the photo
User submitted a photo of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I agree with Tom. I know you would like to replace the flush handle with a pull type, but I believe you have to use the one that came with the door. It's just not feasible to convert the door to use a different type, due in no small part to the size of that hole. Trying to alter it could irreparably damage the frame. Do you have the original handle set handy? That will allow us to find a good match.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)