SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

MArvin window balance question

A home owner from North Monmouth, Maine says:
I just replaced 28 balance tubes in 14 Marvin windows in my home. I also noticed that the springs in the replacements had springs 3.5 inches longer than originals. The original shorter springs put out so much tension that the balances were ripped apart. The original shorter spring was either a design defect or manufacturing mistake. Have any of your customers had this problem? Has Marvin acknowledged this and taken responsibility for the problem. Thanks.....
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you're having trouble. I'm not sure if this is a common problem for Marvin windows, as they use many different kinds of balances. Where did you get the replacement parts in question? Are they spiral balances? Based on your description, that sounds like it may be the case, but I'm not sure.

In the case of spiral balances, having a shorter inside spiral wouldn't cause the damage you describe. The inside spiral would just pop out of the tube, since the window travel is longer. From how you describe the damage, it sounds like the spring is too strong, or was perhaps charged too many times. When you installed it, how many times did you turn the inside spring?
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)