Malta Screen Clips Alternative

A quick learner from Lovettsville, VA says:
Your 70-048 clips appears to be suitable replacements for broken ones on my old Malta screens. Before buying some, however, I'd like to get your opinion on whether or not there are other types of screen latches available that would fit Malta screens, perhaps something made of aluminum or that attached to the screen frame differently.

You carry bail catches that fit over the outside edge of the frame and secure to a ball top screw driven into the window sill. Would they or something like them fit my 7/16" thick frames?

Thanks.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. We have had service people use our 70-204 bail latch, which fits over the frame and comes with a ball head screw. That said, you should replace your hardware with what was installed originally. If that's what your screens came with, there is probably a reason for it.
A home owner from Lovettsville VA says:
Thanks for the quick reply. I will order some of the 70-048 clips. A new question: The 70-048 clips are no longer the original beige plastic. Is a dark colored plastic now used because it is less susceptible to UV degradation? My original clips do seem to have become brittle, something that can be attributed to UV radiation.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure why they changed the color to black. It could be to help protect against constant UV exposure, or it could just be a different mold.
A quick learner from Boston says:
The problem with these clips and replacing them is that they are help to the screen with the same rubber cord that holds the screen in the frame. So to replace them you need to pull out the old cord (and screen) which is not easy when the cord is old an brittle.
How to install a Malta screen frame latch
How to install a Malta screen frame latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.