?Marvin balances

A quick learner from Connecticut says:
I have what I am almost sure are Marvin windows with a 29 inch measured spring balance- 2 for the top window and two for the bottom.
They are the same shape and length as the S751-29 product you sell. The stamping says 28XHD. What is your equivalent product? Are the tops and bottoms the same units, and how many and which types S clips should I order? This will be for two windows- for a total of 8 balances. Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Assuming you have the S751-29, I think the corresponding option would be our 28HD. However I recommend weighing your sash just in case. We have a chart on the S751-29 store page that shows how much weight each stamp can support.
A quick learner from CT says:
Thanks, Tom for your quick reply. Since there is cross over at 28 lbs between the HD and TG, would it be safer to get the TG? I am not sure if yours are the original products or not. Are the balances the same top and bottom in general, and what about the S clips? Should I order both large and small to make sure?
Profile picture of Tom
I think your original balance had a 28HD stamp, so I would stick with that. It's the same spring strength the original installers used so there's no reason to change it. You can see clear pictures on the S751-29 store page to compare to your own. As for the S clips, you could buy both, but we have detailed dimensions for each that you can use as reference. Just compare our measurements to your own.
A quick learner from CT says:
Tom,
Thanks, I have one more quick question. I found out the original Marvin part numbers for the top and the bottom were different-The Top was 10682801 and the bottom was 10682800. They have a blue clutch and are listed as extra heavy duty(perhaps explaining the XHD stamp?) Does your Universal S751-29 work for both top and bottom- or will they be different- and if so, could you tell me which ones to order?
Best,
Cary
Profile picture of Tom
Sure thing. The S751-29 is not necessarily universal. It is meant to replace a very specific kind of balance with the same type of metal channel and shoe. It may be the same Series for both the top and bottom sash, but top sashes and bottom sashes can vary in size and width. You should always check to make sure the hardware you're replacing it with is the same.

As for the weight rating, as long as your sash weight matches the stamp you choose for the S751-29 you should be okay.
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.