SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Mastic window parts

A home owner from Warwick, RI says:
I purchased a home with mastic double hung tilt windows that either don't open or will not stay open, I'm guessing I need the whole assembly for both sides replaced to fix the problem. The windows are about 10 years old and I believe you folks are my last resort for repairing the windows, any help is appreciated. Thanks, gadar
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Yes, it sounds like the balances are worn out or broken. I would be happy to help, but I will need a picture of one of the balances so that we can identify the best match.
A quick learner from Warwick, RI says:
Please let me know if the picture is helpful , thanks
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
That definitely narrows it down considerably, yes! You appear to have a tilt window spiral balance. There are now two choices ahead of you, and it will depend on one particular measurement: the diameter of the outer tube that encases your balance. You will likely have to remove yours from the window to measure it accurately. Keep in mind it's the outer tube, not the inside spring.

If the outer tube is 3/8" in diameter, then we recommend the Series 900 spiral balance. If it's 5/8" or 9/16", I suggest our Series 600 instead. For more information, check out the videos and guide I've linked on the right hand side of this page. I think you'll find them very helpful.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)