SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Measuring for new window

A quick learner from Grass valley says:
i am measuring to install new windows and there is sheetrock on the inside of the home. the window that is existing is a 1930s alcoa aluminum casement window. i pulled a measurement from outside face of window to outside face of window width and height. how much do i take off the measurement to make sure the window fits in-between the studs. thank you for your response it can save me a lot of time and money
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. I hope I can help. This isn't an easy question to answer, however. Your window could have a nailing fin mounted behind the outside trim or siding. To remove the existing window, you might need to remove this outside trim/siding to get at the nails. You could measure the inside sheetrock opening and make a deduction from there. It's possibly 1/4" to 1/2" less in height and width. You may want to get the help of a local contractor, this could be a project.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)