Metal bracket for Series 400 balance

A handy person from Frisco TX says:
I need to replace two spiral balances in a non-tilting aluminum window about 20 years old. I have identified the part needed as S400-30 green.
However one of the lower brackets is broken, half of it fell out of channel during my investigation.
I see that you sell brackets but they don't seem to be accessible for replacement.
Question. Assuming that bracket cannot be replaced, how well would the window work with only one balance?
We are tired of using wooden props.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I feel your frustration. The window manufacturer made your sashes specifically so that they cannot be removed, so you can't get to the side of the sash to replace the broken bracket. We do have a bracket, the 17-031, that can be screwed on the bottom of the sash that works with Series 400 balance. Could this work for you?
A quick learner from Frisco TX says:
Looks like this will work. I will need to make a small revision to the frame. Will send results later
A quick learner says:
Installed an aluminum channel in the window sash and attached the bracket.
Your installation video says to charge the balance using the tool turning 2-3 turns. I have tried 2, 4 and 6 turns and the window only holds half open.
Do I continue with more turns or will I damage the balances?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
You shouldn't go any more than that. Even 6 may be a lot. When charging, make sure someone is holding the sash up for you as high as they can. When you charge the spiral, make sure it is as close to the tube as you can comfortably get. You want as much of the spiral in the tube when you turn it.
A quick learner from Frisco TX says:
Success. Using a hint from another email from Swisco I found that the sash weighed 23-26 pounds which showed that I was using the correct replacement part.
However it took many more turns than noted with the charger to get the window to stay wide open.
If the balances fail from too much tension I will replace them with some from a window we never use.
Thanks for the help.
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.