SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Miami? Superior? Operator #10-8201

A handy person from Tallahassee, Florida says:
Hi, I'm trying to find replacements for my awning operators, which seem to be most similar to the "Miami" ones but also strongly resemble what CR Lawrence calls a "Superior" model WCM232. Both dimensionally very close.

The main difference is large arm with the center pivot hole and gear teeth on it. On mine, this arm is P-shaped, whereas from what I can tell the two comparables have a Y or T-shaped arm. That is, on mine, the arm is offset from the pivot hole.

Any help identifying a workable replacement would be greatly appreciated. I suspect the 39-054 will work but the arm difference concerns me.
User submitted photos of their 10-8201 window crank
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
The 39-054 is the replacement operator you need. If you look at your original operator you will see there is a large washer between the arm and the operator. This washer makes up for the offset you see in the 39-054 arm.
A handy person from Tallahassee, FL says:
Thanks, Dave - that's not the offset I mean, though. I'm not talking about the short arm but the larger one with the gear teeth on it. The arm that is inside the housing, with a large pivot pin through it that also goes through the housing. You can see the difference in the parts in the rough sketch I've attached.

This may not make any difference in operation, just wanted to make sure.
User submitted photo of offset drawing.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
The newer operators are not made as beefy as the original ones. My suggestion would be to make sure the window opens and closes easily with the operator off the window. Clean the gearing and track and lubricate it with a silicon-based spray. Also, before you install the new operator, put some extra grease on the gears. The newer operator is not an exact match, but it is the closest one in your case.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)