SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Missing Hardware

A home owner from Bristol, CT says:
Hello.
I just purchased a home that has old some Strato-Fold bi-fold doors installed. It seems as though there are some parts missing and some of the existing parts my be installed incorrectly (in the wrong place). I have 2 sets of double doors that are the culprits. The attached pics are #1 - Pin from a door (not sure where it goes) Pics #2 and #3 are from the pivoting side of the door while #4 and #5 are from the stationary panel closest to the wall. Any help you can give as to model number so that I can order replacement parts and instructions as to installation of those parts would be appreciated. I will also be submitting a second post with photos of the second set of bi-folds. Thanks
User submitted photos of bi-fold door pins.
A home owner from Bristol, CT says:
This is an addition to my previous post on missing and possibly incorrectly stored hardware. The first 2 pictures show top and bottom of the panel closest to the wall while the second 2 show the other panel including an empty spot where I'm hoping that the pin in photo #5 belongs. Again, any help would be appreciated. Thanks
User submitted photos of bi-fold door pins.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Can you please give us the diameter of your pins?
A home owner from Bristol says:
Hello Paul,
Some of the pins are 1/4" in diameter and some are 5/8". I have attempted to post this info before but it did not appear to show up in this forum. Let me know what else you need. Thanks
Profile picture of Paul
Alright. Sounds like you have different pins from different companies combined and used in the same door. This is going to make things a little complicated, but we still should be able to help.

Looking at the pivot block in the fifth photo, I think you should consider our 21-202 as a replacement. Building off of that, I would also use our 21-003 pin and that same 21-202 block on the bottom corner hinge. At the top corner hinge, I would use a combination of the plain 21-026B pin with a 21-250 spring, as well as our 21-155 palnut on top. After you put that through the door, lock it in with another 21-155 palnut.

For the other two pins, I recommend our 21-043. The rubber bumpers would e our 21-275. To make the holes smaller, you can use our 21-150 1/4" nylinder.

Review these products and see if you think they'll work as replacements for your doors. I think I covered everything, but let me know if there's more.
Thank you Paul,
I've finally had a chance to go over the information you provided and I think I'm on board but I'm unclear on how the palnuts are used as well as where the rubber bumpers come into play. Can you shed some light?
Profile picture of Paul
Sure! After you install the bi-fold guide pins with springs through the door, you lock the pal-nut on the bottom of the pin to prevent them from coming apart. On double doors, you would install the bumpers on the track between the doors to help keep them closed.
Hello Paul,
Sorry to keep beating this dead horse but it appears that the hardware set up that is currently in my doors is different then you are recommending so I'd like some additional clarification if possible. In the door currently there is a pivot block at the top and bottom corners of both my doors while the way I read your solution indicates that the pivot block will only be used at the bottom corner. I also see no specific mention of what type of spring I would use in conjunction with the pins on the end of the door that glides in the track. Am I totally mis-reading your instructions? Thanks.
Profile picture of Paul
Our 21-202 pivot block is used for the top and bottom track to act like a pivot. The 21-250 would be the spring. Now, these are just suggestions. I can't guarantee they will work. If you don't think these recommendations will fit in your door, I would like to see them fully removed from the door with detailed dimensions. We may be able to find better replacements then.
Hello Paul, I hope you had a good holiday season. I've already provided the diameter of the pins in an earlier post. One was 5/8" and one 1/4". I have tried to remove the pivot blocks from the track but am finding it difficult to do so. I can tell you that the 2 sets of doors have different size pivot blocks. One is 1.5" in length and the other has PBs that are 2" long. I've attached pics of each. I don't believe that I've mentioned that the two sets of doors are different widths. One set has 17 3/4" panels and the 1.5" PB and the other has the 2" PB and 11 3/4" panels. The narrower door had the larger (5/8") pins while the wider door had the 1/4" pins. Can I use the same size hardware on both sets of doors? Apologies for the incessant questions but I thank you for your help.
User submitted photos of closet door track.
Profile picture of Paul
Thanks again for your patience. The nylon pivot block looks like our 21-202 for a 1/4" pin and the metal one looks like our 21-200 for a 3/8" pin. For the track, check out our 21-404, and for the pins our 21-007 and 21-001.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)