SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Mortise Lockset 40-196

A home owner from Sacramento, California says:
Ordered Lockset 40-196 because the dimensions seemed to be the same as the existing lockset in one of my Pella doors. However, the setback from the edge of the door on my existing lockset is much deeper than Lockset 40-196 (see attached photo). Consequently, Lockset 40-196 will not fit the existing mortised holes. You might want to specify how far back from the edge of the door the handles of Lockset 40-196 will be when it is installed.
User submitted a photo of mortise locks.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Wow, that is huge! It looks much too wide for a standard door. This must be a wood door with a very wide stile on the locking side. Is that what you have? Are you sure it's Pella?

You could possibly use our 82-400, which has a much wider mortise, but I'm not sure if that will work or not.
A home owner from Sacramento, California says:
Thanks for responding Dave. Got the old one to work. Cleaned out the lock with carb cleaner and also found that one of the bolts holding the inside and outside plates together had stripped threads. So, it was not holding the bottom of the outside plate firmly against the door. Drove a screw into the outside plate and then the deadbolt worked.

Yes, the stile is quite wide. Not completely sure its a Pella door. Remodeling was done before we bought the property.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
That's good, I'm glad you were able to come up with a solution. To be perfectly honest with you, your mortise lock is so wide that I think maybe it could have been something uniquely made for your door. Most storm door locks have a pretty typical size, even if they differ in style and function. Again, I'm sorry that our hardware didn't work for you. If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)