SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Mortise lock needed for Legacy Handle set

A quick learner from Grafton, WI says:
I just placed an order for 82-073 and 82-218. Everything works except the inside mortise lock is a little too big but I can't find one for the legacy handle that goes with it...The width seems right. I don't have the old one but from screw to screw is 3 and 5/8 and the inside piece is about 3 and a 1/4.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Without the old mortise lock we may not be able to find an exact match. We don't have anything in this style with a hole spacing of 3-5/8". Are you making sure to measure from the center of each hole?
A home owner from 53024 says:
Yes u double checked and that is the correct measurement. Is there another set we could get? I'm assuming we'll have to return everything we have?
Profile picture of Tom
We may have something else, but without seeing the original hardware there's no way for me to know what to suggest. It's especially confusing because there is only a 1/16" difference in size for both measurements. Was the original mortise lock otherwise identical to the 82-218? Were there any other significant differences? Do you have a neighbor with the same door that might have the original hardware?
A quick learner from grafton, wi says:
My husband just told me the original lock fell into the sliding door and we attempted to take off the door to retrieve it, but aren't able to. We took a string and from the middle of the screw to the other middle of the screw it is 3 and 3/4, but the one we got in our original order was identical otherwise, just too long. Not sure if the picture attached will help...
User submitted photo of their door hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
I'm sorry, but I cannot find a mortise lock in this style with the hole spacing you need. What's more is that the 82-218 is one of the only locks that has a risk of falling into the door like you describe. I do not know why you are unable to use it, from everything I'm seeing here it is the correct replacement. Could it be you're just having trouble installing it? Watch the video below, maybe that will help.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)