SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Mortise won't fit

A quick learner from New York says:
I have attached a few pics of the new lock I ordered from you (40-196) and my old.
Mine is the sliver in the pics.
The lock hole line up exactly.
Hopefully what you can see is my old lock does not have a face plate attached so it sits deep in the door.
Attached face plate would be fine but because the model I ordered is smaller in width it won't sit deep enough in the door where I can line up the lock and cylinder
User submitted photos of a mortise lock.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Looking at your photos, the style of the locks look the same. However, it appears that the difference is in the back sets. The 40-196 has a back set of 1" from the edge of the door to the center of the hole for the handle. What is the back set on your original latch?
A home owner from Yonkers says:
Please see attached picture. If you have another recommendation on a lock that will fit I am open to suggestions.
User submitted photos of door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Looking at your photos, the handles look very similar except for that back set. I'm not sure we have anything in that exact size, but we will try to see if we can locate one to fit. Do you know the make of the storm door? That could help identify the lock.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)