Moss vinyl window replacement parts

A home owner from Columbia, SC says:
Hi. I have Moss tilt out vinyl windows who will not stay open. The have a twisted metal piece on each side that goes the full length of both sides of the window. I think this is the part that is broken. One window is 58 inches in length and the other is 70 inches in lenght. Do you have the replacement parts for these Moss windows? Also the plastic thing on the top of the bottom window that you pull in so that you can tilt the window is broken on one of the windows and I need that replaced. Please let me know. Thanks and have a great day. Linda
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hi Linda, yes we have those replacement parts.

The "twisted metal piece" is called a spiral sash support balance. You can start here in our spiral balance catalog to figure out which balance you need. Let me know if you get stuck and need help.

The "plastic thing" is called a top tilt latch. We have a lot styles of top tilt latches in our top tilt latch catalog section. If you would like help choosing which one you need, take a few pictures and submit them here for us to take a look at. Also, let us know if there are any names or numbers stamped on your current tilt latches. These stamps provide clues that help us choose the proper replacement part.
My tilt latch is for a Moss window installed in 1996. It is 2 1/4 inches long, white, and is rounded at one end and square on the other (but has a square part cut out at the end - imagine a US Post Office mailbox with feet on the bottom - the screw would be at the top). It is is 3/4 of an inch wide. It only has one screw and that is at the round end. It looks like a regular size screw. The part that goes into the window is slanted. Can you help? It is on the left side of the window when I look outside. Thanks.
Profile picture of Tom
Can you take a few pictures and submit them here so we can take a quick look? This will be the easiest way for us to help you research a replacement.
Have attached pictures - one of a good latch and the other is a picture of the broken one. Also, I want to order tilt window spiral balances, I guess that is the 600 series. Anyway, one of my windows has a green tip, which you don't have on your website. Should I order the black tip? Thanks.
user submitted photo of tilt latch
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you for submitting your photos.

It appears the Swisco 26-089P Tilt Latches are the closest match to your original.

Moving forward, please give us the length of your spiral balances, metal portion only. After we receive the length we can begin discussion tip color options.
35 inch and 29 inch. I was not able to get the rod off, but I measured from the bottom of the rod to just above the screw at the top.
Profile picture of Tom
When you say "rod", are you referring to the spiral balance?

For your balance replacement, you will want to make sure you're selecting the correct Series. Follow the balance guide to get started.

Next, you will want to make sure you're selecting the appropriate balance tip color (the color of the balance tip determines the amount of sash weight the balance can support).
balance tip color option
A quick learner says:
Hi Mike, as indicated above, I did follow the guide, but the green tip was not there.
Profile picture of Tom
Is the color of your 35" spiral balance green as well?
A quick learner says:
Hi Mike,
I have a 35 inch spiral rod that has a green tip. My 29 inch has a red tip and I was able to find that. So, it's just the 35 inch that I have a problem with because it has a green tip. Thanks.
Profile picture of Tom
The green tip option is not available for any Series 600 balance. Have you confirmed your spiral balances are Series 600 (5/8" in diameter)? I am asking this because the Series 900 spiral balances (3/8" in diameter) do have the green tip option available. In order to accurately determine the tip option, you will have to give us the weight of the window sash. You can do this buy removing the sash and placing it on a school. As soon as we have this information we can move forward with the research.
A quick learner says:
Hi Mike. I believe you are correct - I remeasured and it looks like it is 3/8" so the 900 series looks like the one. I'm going to order the latches you recommended and also 2 35" (green) 900 spiral balances and 2 29" (red) 900 spiral balances. Thanks for all your help.
Profile picture of Tom
You're quite welcome.

I hope your project goes well. Let us know if you have any other questions.
A home owner from Ct says:
Isee the parts that I want. The pivot shoe. Just can't figure how to remove the old one from the track.
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks for posting! Please take a look at our new tutorial video on how to remove pivot shoes from the jamb.
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.