SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Moving the lever on 82-034

A quick learner says:
re: your reply that the 82-073 thumb lever cannot be moved or repaired, I'm assuming on the 82.034 it can be moved and repaired. I'm trying to understand how/why would anyone want to move it? what is the benefit? Thanks. Steve.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hello! The lever on the 83-04 cannot be moved, either. Sorry for the confusion! As for why you'd want to, it would depend on what kind of mortise lock hardware you have. Some mortise locks require a thumb lever at the top position, while others require it in a middle position.
A quick learner says:
Hi tom...thx for the quick reply. I really want to get this handle and lock ordered...but I also want to be sure I hopefully order the correct, and compatible parts (at least based on best assumption based on what I have, sizes, and what will work together. So, I have not yet removed my mortise lock...but I can tell you that it is exactly 3 11/16" install screw holes. Based on what you can see in the pic, does this appear to be a match for the 82-218 mortise lock? and should the 82-218 mortise lock work with the 82-073 handle? (I just didn't want to bother to remove the mortise lock if I dont need to...though I am going to order it also just so i have it if I need....). Just wondering if it's possible that mortise lock I have/need may be different than the 82-218? Thanks for your help!!!
User submitted photo of their door hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Yes, the 82-218 and 82-073 are compatible. I think there's a good chance this is what you have, but it may be a good idea to check just in case. Also be sure to watch our video on how best to replace it. There is a risk of the lock falling into the door if you aren't careful, but we cover a good way to avoid that.
A quick learner says:
Thanks Tom... I have watched the video's...thus why I was trying to avoid removing/installing new mortise lock unless I absolutely needed to...for that exact reason (I can see me dropping it :( if I do, that's when I will call a door guy to come help....but I'm ordering the handle and lock today...wish me luck. thank you for your prompt assistance!!!!
Profile picture of Tom
It was my pleasure!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)